Wednesday, June 24, 2015

How I roll

I hinted to it a little bit in a comment a few posts back. But one of the ways I corral and expand on ideas for a setting, or adventure is I make a list.

For example lets take this plot seed.

I'm telling you it was no ordinary cobra. When it arose from the tea bushes it was tall as a man, and had fangs the size of fountain pens.

Thats a good start. I then write down what comes to mind. What I think would work, or be cool. Just because it gets written down doesn't mean it will get used. Its just formation of ideas. So from that idea this list comes about.

Giant Cobra
Selective Breeding
Chemical Growth Formula
Mad Scientist
India
Thugee
Death Cult
Kali death Cult
Tea Plantation
Tiger hunting
Hills
Mountains
Village
Rolls Royce
Dynamiting a bridge
Raja
Train
Elephant Gun
Noon Day Gun
Howdah Pistol
Shotgun
British
Colonel Mustard

I then start piecing things together in my head. What I want to include, exclude. Possible encounters and such. It forms up, or at least gives me a frame work to hang things on. 
One of my settings thats been written up (and rewritten) for a long time started as this list.

South Pacific
Islands
Jungle
Cargo Cults
Cannibals
Japanese
Chinese
Missionary Preacher
Bar
Harbor
Hangout
Mercenaries
Locals
Sea Planes
Flying Boat
Zeppelins
Ships
Treasure
Intrigue
Prehistoric Animals
Trading Post
Town

Now this is just my way, to help organize my thoughts. Maybe it can work for you, maybe not. But I thought I would share one of my methods of madness.

No comments: