Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Further thoughts on viking bards and clerics

    So I've been thinking more about Clerics and Bards. I've got two different styles in mind. Not sure which direction would be better.
    So first off no real changes to what I've already posted. One thing I did miss was the elimination of turning undead. Doesn't seem right to me to be included.
    Second idea is a mildly radical change. (I know that kind of a oxymoron, but roll with me here a minute.) Elimination of spells completely. Bards would have more or less boosting abilities through their poetry. Example, poem of inspiration raises the parties attack bonus for the fight. Or boost a character's strength, and etc. Then clerics wouldn't really be clerics per say, as much as they would be devout follower of a particular deity. Whom they may ask a favor or boon of. I keep thinking of the line from Conan the Barbarian.

"Crom! I have never prayed to you before. I have no time for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom; so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!"

    Now that I write that down the line between bard and cleric kind of blurs to me. Perhaps I'm over thinking the whole thing. After all I want it to be a mythic campaign so to speak. So they will be fighting mythic creatures, and such. As well as other humans/warriors. I've got to ponder this all a bit.

No comments: